The town of Le Marin is a town in the south of Martinique located between Rivière Pilote to the west, Vauclin to the north and Sainte Anne to the south.

It is one of the oldest inhabited sites in Martinique after colonization. Indeed, in 1660, the first settlers settled there, as well as a priest, Hebert, and created a village.

In 1664, during the first enumeration of the island ordered by Colbert, the town of Marin was called “Cul-de-sac de Saint-Étienne du Marin” with 199 inhabitants.

In April 1673, French and English fought for possession of Martinique. The English burned the chapel and the town, devastating the plantations and the herds.

Around 1700, the town of Le Marin was rebuilt and the port was then frequented by a few merchant ships. The city is rebuilt and develops sufficiently to such an extent that in 1720, a subdelegate (auxiliary of the intendant) is established there.

In 1728, the district of Sainte-Anne was detached from that of Le Marin.

Around 1731, the town of Marin had a royal lieutenancy.

In 1764, the port of Marin was the capital of one of the island's four departments.

In 1766, the construction of the new church began under the aegis of the Comte d'Ennery. It was also in this same year that the blue flag with a white cross appeared with the four spearheads. These merchandise ships bearing it arrive in Marin Bay.

In 1783, the village of Marin is already important and there are 90 houses. The main activity is then trade.

In 1808, during yet another battle between the French fleet and the English fleet, a French ship, le Griffon commanded by Lieutenant (Navy) Gautier, took refuge in Marin Bay and was blocked by the English forces. He then engages in a fierce battle. The English were pushed back and landed at Pointe Dunkerque where a land battle began during which the Commander of the brigade of the commune of Sainte Anne, Girardin de Montgérald would be killed in this same commune. The English re-embark when the Marin militia led by Mondésir Gonnier arrives.

In 1839, Le Marin was established as a town. A municipal council is elected for 6 years. The first mayor of Marin Jean-Baptiste Pelet de Lautrec takes office to replace the commissioner commanding the parish. He remained there until the abolition of slavery in 1848 when he was replaced by Valcourt Dusquesnay.

Around 1850, the civil hospital of Marin was built. It serves the neighboring municipalities of Sainte-Anne, Vauclin, Rivière-Pilote and Sainte-Luce.

Around 1869, the sugar factory was built by Charles Harouard and Joseph Braud. It replaces the 12 sucrotes (small sugar refineries) scattered throughout the south-east of Martinique.

In 1883, the first secular school of which Osman Duquesnay was one of the main craftsmen opened its doors... and four years later, it was the turn of the realization of a picturesque town hall built in wood which had to be rebuilt in 1969.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the town had 4,912 inhabitants who mostly lived in the town. The latter is the central point where the inhabitants of the countryside of Sainte Anne, Vauclin and Rivière Pilote are supplied. Steamboats connect the towns of Saint-Pierre and Le Marin.

In 1969, the sugar factory, which then employed 120 foremen and workers, had to close its doors due to serious economic problems. This closure constitutes a real turning point in the economic history of the city, which will therefore have to find a way out from an economic point of view..

The same year, the town hall was rebuilt.

In 1974, Le Marin became a sub-prefecture. A fishing port is built.

In 1985, the State ceded the harbor concession for the marina to the municipality.

In 2012, the town now focused on tourism received the Trophée de l'escale (Stopover award).


After the closure of the Usine du Marin, the city definitely turned to services such as tourism and commerce. With 3 beaches, its marina and many sites to visit, the town derives most of its income from tourism but also from the many shops in the town. The inhabitants of several towns in the South go there to shop for food and basic necessities because of their proximity to Le Marin instead of facing traffic jams on the South-North axis.


The municipality's main districts are Artisanal, Bernard, Berry, Boucan, Cap Beauchene, Cap Bois Neuf, Cap Champfleury, Cap Macré, Cap Marin, Cap Morne Flambeau, Cedalise, Fillette, Fond Gens Libres, Fons Debase, Fouquette, Jean Baptiste, la Agnes, la Huvet, la Mamisse, la Source, la Vierge, Leptune, Mare Capron, Marguerite, Massel, Mondesir, Montgerald, Morne Courbaril, Morne Gommier, Morne Rouge, Perou, Puy Ferrat, Robin, Saint Onge, Suffrin, Tocnay and Vierge Fouquette.

List of places to visit in the municipality

Places to visit

The Church of St. Etienne at Marin was built in 1766 in stone. It differs from other churches on the island with its bell tower located next to the building. Its architecture is "Jesuit" style.

Marin Marina is now the largest water sports of the Caribbean and the number one of tourist rental of pleasure boats with its fleet of 220 units, the character of the site and services offered.

For photo enthusiasts, it is a landmark in Martinique. On the heights of Morne Gommier you can admire a magnificent panorama with a breathtaking 360 degree views.


Anse Grosse Roche is a little sandy beach located in the town of Marin in the southeast of Martinique on the Atlantic coast.

This beach is wild but swimming is allowed.

During school holidays, the undergrowth is becoming a camping space.

Cap Macré beach is located in the town of Marin although some people often think that it is located in the town of Sainte Anne. This is the connection point between the coast of the town of Marin and Sainte Anne.

Located in Le Marin, Pointe Borgnese is a magnificent beach with turquoise water and fine blond sand.

It offers superb views of Morne Larcher and Rocher du Diamant on your right.