The town of Diamant is located in the south of Martinique. It is located between Anses d'Arlet to the west, Sainte-Luce to the east, Trois-Ilets and Rivière-Salée to the north.

The oldest history of the territory which is currently that of the municipality of Diamant dates back to the 4th century. At that time the Arawak Indians who had just settled on the island populated the south of the island. Once the Caribbean, fierce warriors, arrived on the island around the 10th century, they massacred the Arawaks and occupied the place until the arrival of the French colonists.

Le Diamant will be populated around the second half of the 17th century. The village is formed, a church is built and around it, the inhabitants cultivate cane, corn and cotton.

In 1804, the Rocher du Diamant (Diamond Rock) will be the scene of serious clashes between the English and the French who each claim the ownership of the islet. The English decided to install a garrison and a battery of cannons there in order to control maritime traffic in the Saint Lucia Canal.

The war for control of Diamond Rock will last 17 months! At the end of this period, the French managed to dislodge the English there in May 1805.

The town is quickly occupied and small houses are emerging. They fruit quickly by producing cane, maize allowing food crops to develop outside.

Le Diamant will subsequently have a more turbulent history locally, notably with this anecdote. In 1716, the Regent took the decision to ban the opening of any new sugar refinery in the face of increased sugar production. This measure is contrary to the interests of the local settlers. The Governor la Garenne and the Intendant Ricouart, responsible for enforcing the measure, were invited by the colonists to a reception at the Habitation O'Mullane, at the time Habitation Bourgeot (district at the entrance to the Diamant).

But the surprise was great! Instead of a feast awaiting them, they are imprisoned, driven to Saint-Pierre and embarked on a ship bound for France! This revolt took the name of Gaoulé, a word of unknown origin but which means rowdy and muscular demand. Today the Maison du Gaoulé is a private and inhabited residence.

Two centuries later, on May 24, 1925 during the second round of municipal elections riots broke out in the town. It must be said that there are many suspicions of organized fraud.

Two camps oppose that of the Békés, rich landowners who support Colonel de Coppens, a retiree, owner of the Dizac distillery and the candidates of the popular left parties supported by the inhabitants of the town.

On May 25, 1925, things got out of hand when attempts were made to stuff the ballot boxes. In the clashes between the two camps, a man is killed. Anger rises and the Diamant inhabitants massacre the colonel and his escort of gendarmes.

This event, subsequently nicknamed the Guerre du Diamant (Diamant war), was the cause of the sending to prison of Médard Haribot, a sculptor from the town who had brandished a sculpture bearing the image of the Colonel. He will be sentenced to life imprisonment in French Guiana but he will return to join the island in 1960 and build the famous Maison du Bagnard where he will remain until the end of his life.


Le Diamant is a town mainly focused on tourism and related activities. Several hotels are present as well as shops selling tourist articles.


The municipality's main districts are Ancinel, Anse Caffard, Artisanal de Taupiniere, Bitaille, Bonne Terre, Carole, Chalopin, Dizac, Fond Camille, Fond Manoel, Fond Placide, Haut Morne, Jacqua, Jeanville, Joubadiere, la Cherry, la Melise, la Pointe, le Gaoule, Longuet, Mare Poirier, Morne Blanc, Morne Constant, Morne la Croix, Morne Lacroix, Morne Pavillon, O Mullane, Petit Lezard, Quamalon, Ravine Gens Bois, Tamarin et Thoraille.

List of places to visit in the municipality

Places to visit

The "Maison du Bagnard" was built by Médard Aribot, a sculptor from Martinique on his return from prison in 1960. He lived there until his death in 1973.

Cap 110 is a memorial erected in memory of slavery.


The David Bernard Space Museum (Espace Muséographique Bernard David) uses a collection of David Bernard, former priest of the town Diamant (1970-1998) to trace the history of the city.

The Museum of shells and the sea was located in the town of Diamant inside the hotel Ecrin Bleu and now moved to Trois-Ilets in the Village of Poterie.


Anse Caffard beach is a brown sand beach located west of the town and at the foot of Morne Larcher. It is the extension to the west of the town's main beach, Diamant beach.

Anse Diamant is the main beach of Le Diamant. It is also called "Plage du Diamant", "Plage Anse Diamant", "Plage du Bourg" or "Plage Dizac" from the name of the street that runs along it.

Anse O'Mullane is the furthest beach from Le Diamant town center. It's also the quietest...and most deserted.

Situated at the end of a large bay, it's rare to see waves here - it's mostly dead calm. Despite its size, its lack of shade and crystal-clear water don't invite you to swim.

Diamond Rock beach is nestled in the heart of a cove overprotected. The beach is equipped with the presence of loungers available for guests. 

You can practice diving or jet-ski with a rental company on this site.

Fishermen's gum boats bathe in its waters.

The Cherry beaches are twin beaches, virtually unknown to the local population.

Surrounded by rocks, they offer magnificent views of Diamant Bay, Morne Larcher, and of course, Diamond Rock.